Choose an item from the menu to the left on the map to get more information]
Maria Curie Skłodowska University (UMCS) was established in 1944 at the initiative of professor Henryk Raabe, its first Rector. UMCS is one of the largest and most important universities in Poland. Currently the number of students is almost 36,000. The university has 302 professors (157 full professors), 231 habilitated doctors, 826 senior lecturers, and 1829 teachers in total.
The University’s structure embraces 11 faculties. The most active and influential are: the Faculty of Biology and Biotechnology, the Faculty of Chemistry, The Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science and the Faculty of Philosophy and Sociology.
The Faculty of Philosophy and Sociology and – in particular – the Institute of Philosophy has its roots in the Chair of Logic and Methodology, which was established together with the Univeristy, in 1944. The first head of the Chair was prof. Narcyz Łubnicki. In 1947 the Chair of Philosophy was established. Today the Faculty consists of two institutes: Institute of Philosophy and Institute of Sociology. The structure of the Institute of Philosophy embraces 11 departments doing research in: esthetics, ethics, ontology, epistemology, logic, philosophy of mind, philosophy of language, cognitive science, methodology of science, cultural anthropology, philosophy of culture and others.